The Association "pour la Biennale nationale de danse du Val-de-Marne" was created in 1981 and soon became a major element in the field of dance in France.
In 2006, it was recognised as a Centre de Développement Chorégraphique (there are eight such centres in France, each of them with specific activities).
The Centre de Développement Chorégraphique du Val-de-Marne always works in partnership with theatres. Most of these partners are in the Val-de-Marne département, but some of them are in other parts of the Parisian region, in the provinces or abroad.
Together with those partners, we organize many actions and performances in favour of choreographic creation.
Among those activities:
- The Biennale de danse du Val-de-Marne is a festival which takes places every odd year in about 20 towns. New works are commissioned for each Biennale: major dance pieces, by choreographers who are now internationally known, were created for this historic festival.
- The Plateaux are dedicated to young choreographers, some of them still unknown. The Plateaux take place at the end of September and they allow artists to meet the public, but also a professional audience: journalists, artistic directors, theatre managers…
- The Accueil studio : we receive young companies who rehearse in our studio, and we take a financial part in their productions. As the other Centres de Développement Chorégraphique, we receive specific subsidies from the state for that mission.
- The Permanence artistique is a program for which we receive subsidies from the regional council. It allows us to work intensively with two companies (Georges Momboye and Hervé Diasnas) and to develop educative actions with them.
- Première Scène is designed for amateur groups: we invite them to re-create an excerpt from major dance pieces, with the choreographer or with a dancer who had taken part in the creation.
- Repères, cahier de danse is a dance review that we publish twice a year. It is run by a board composed by scholars and artists. It deals with various themes, related to dance and contemporary creation.
- The Actions Danse are training periods, lectures, workshops, public rehearsals… For schools, amateur groups, associations, etc.
In 2013, the Centre de développement chorégraphique du Val-de-Marne will move into an old factory (the Briqueterie de Gournay), rehabilitated for dance creation and performances.